Tuesday, November 20, 2012

A Psychologist, a Counselor and a Psychiatrist!

I recently visited a school for the post of a counselor and the receptionist saw me with a faint smile and asked-
Read me
Me: How?
Rec: you are a psychologist
me: Well, am not a mind reader
Rec: But still, tell something
Me: How would I know about you more than you do?
Rec: But still
Me: (Silent- with some frustration as to not know what to say)
        Later explained to her what a counselor means, how we don't read minds, how all this is an Indianized movie version of a psychologist!! 


The reason why I didn't write for a long time, really long time is because I got married, got busy and got lazy. Now, Am writing which means I really need to write some things out.
I have been on a lookout for a job and I have been getting a lot of 'face-palm' situations because of the kind of things I get to listen. I am neither a world renowned counselor nor a busy trainer in soft skills. But I still like what I do, have restricted view of a lot of jobs and love what I read. 
Therefore, here I am, all to write about a few things not true about Psychology and those that are true.

Distinction:
Who is a Psychologist?
A psychologist is a therapist in various settings like schools, organizations(ex: stress issues in a corporate office) and clinics(dealing with depression) who understands various psychological issues and helps manage them. They may or may not use tests and their subject knowledge and scope are very different.
A psychologist may also be teaching psychology is a school or college but that does not involve therapy.


Who is a Psychological counselor or a Counselor?
A counselor is also a therapist who understands psychological issues but helps the client by conversing either on a one-to-one session(45min/ 1Hr session) or in a group setting ( ex:women shelter group). They may or may not use tests. Also, there are various divisions in counseling, marital counseling, family counseling, rehabilitation counseling to name a few.
A counselor can always refer you to a psychologist when the need arises or for extra support.



Who is a psychiatrist?
A psychiatrist is a physician (M.B.B.S;M.D) who prescribes medicines for psychological problems. He is an expert is drugs and neuron links. So the next time you consult a psychiatrist for someone, do ask them if you need a therapist/counselor because treatment works best with therapy. Also, a psychiatrist may not necessarily prescribe drugs if he thinks it's not needed. In such a case he may refer you to a counselor. 

If you are in a doubt whether you need drugs for a particular problem or not, just meet a psychologist or a counselor. They will assess your problem and refer you to a psychiatrist if needed.



 Truths

  1. It is true that a psychologist is a person with a valid degree
  2. A psychologist understands you.
  3. A psychologist may conduct tests and it is also true that you can ask them what test they are using if you are unsure.
  4. Taking drugs is your choice and no once can force you. A psychologist/ psychiatrist will help you make that decision.
Myths:

  1. You are mental/mad if you visit a psychologist. In fact those who say that don't know the meaning of mental or a psychologist. (I have also been to a counselor, am not crazy.. You know)
  2. A psychologist can read your mind. No, they cant. They understand you from what you say and talk and help you. They are not super natural beings who can see your brains. (If they can do so, they would be the richest people on earth :p) 
  3. They will share your information outside. No. they cant. They are bound by ethical code to be confidential.
  4. They can read your palm. (no they cannot)
Sorry for not attaching links to support my views. In any case of doubt, you can always google and check. 
Feel free to write here in my comment box to agree or disagree with me.
















 

4 comments:

santosh said...

Posted at 5:28AM!!well I definitely see the frustration!
Neverthless good attempt atleast some people might get benifited by this blog!

రౌతు విజయకృష్ణ said...

Why don't you make a wiki page for yourself and . I was searching for your song collection to see variations in your singing style. In uyyala jampala your telugu phonetics were absolutely fantastic. Hope you keep engaging us.

Unknown said...

My name is PremKumar Gudi, my native place is KARUMURU Village of REPALLE Mondal of GUNTUR District, now I was being in Mumbai because of my Business & Job purpose, I got curiosity to know about you, why because you are the first celebrity I ever seen with our Surname "GUDI". You are proudly welcome to write me to my mail

Unknown said...

My mail ID is premkumar.gudi73@gmail.com